Sunday, May 6, 2018

Week 45



This week was great!!
It has been starting to rain again.  This is the Chile I know and love hahaha.  It includes walking with your boots full of water, streets made into waterfalls (because Chiloè is pure hills.  Whenever it rains the streets become waterfalls and turn into massive rivers as well), and clothes never being dry.  Literally.  BUT I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!  There is nothing greater than being a missionary!!!!
Some random things from the week...
1-We have a little gas heater that only heats up the space of one room.  We put it in our bedroom and we close the door while we are getting ready in the morning to create a Sauna.  Its so cold so we do planning and studies on our beds (don't worry we do actually do them) in our Sauna.  Hahah it's one of the only ways to stay warm(:
2-Like I mentioned we are teaching lots of Haitians.  We don't speak their language super well so we try to bring one that already speaks Spanish to our lessons so that they can translate when we can't speak.  This week we brought a Haitian with us named Waldo.  He was supposed to meet us at 4 but was running late.  Anyway, while we were waiting we played a real life game of "Where´s Waldo?". (The book where you have to look for the guy with the red and white stripes).  Anyway, how many times in your life will you get to actually say "Where´s waldo?" hahaha
3-One of the nights here we got lucky and the sky was really clear.  Because it's getting darker here earlier we were able to see the stars.  They are so clear and beautiful out here because there isn't a ton of light pollution.  I LOVE it!!! (but you guys already know I'm obsessed with the starts).
This week was great and full of lots of miracles!!  We were able to start re-teaching some investigators that we had to drop a while back.  They are pretty prepared now.  I love them.

The highlight of my week though was going to a baptism of the Elders.  I have been feeling kind of down lately because none of my investigators have been baptized yet.  This week in particular it hit me.  But the Elders in another sector have been teaching a little girl named Monzarat.  She has come to activities before and I've gotten to know her.  I feel like shes one of my little sisters.  But she got baptized on Saturday and it was SO BEAUTIFUL.  It was so tender to see her all dressed in white and beaming from ear to ear.  I got to lead the hymns and while I was up there we just kept looking at each other smiling.  She was so excited.  The baptism was beautiful and the spirit was so strong.  Afterward we were all crying.  It was such a powerful moment.  I realized again in that moment that I never want to leave the mission!!  It's so special.  Working all day and dedicating everything you are for the purpose of helping people come closer to the Savior is the happiest thing I have ever done.  Even though she wasn't one of my investigators that I had taught and come to love as much as the Elders had, I still felt immense joy in seeing her be baptized.  That was a sweet reminder that we are all brothers and sisters.  Whether someone is baptized in Russia, Chile, or the U.S, our joy should be the same because one of our brothers or sisters is on the path back to our home.  It's all the same work.  I love being a missionary.  

Study the Savior.  Get to know Him.  Learn to trust Him more.  I love you all!!  Have a great week!!


--Hermana West