Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Week 30

Hola Familia, 
I have some exciting news....I’M GOING TO CHILOÉ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I’m sooooooo excited!  The sector is kind of new.  There are only 4 hermanas in Chiloé so I’m so lucky!  I think Jacob served near where I’m going to serve but I’m not sure...the area is Castro I think?  But the ocean is in my sector just like here, and, THERE ARE PENGUINS!  Hahah our sector is the one that people travel to see the penguins, so I’m pumped!  I’ve heard lots of good things.  My companion is Hermana Canales de Ecuador!  I’m so grateful to be able to keep speaking Spanish.  This week I finally dreamed in Spanish hahah!  And last night almost all my dreams were in Spanish.  Heavenly Father has blessed me with the gift of tongues SO much!  Spiritual gifts are a real thing!

This week was absolutely incredible!  We were led by the Spirit so much and we were able to find lots of people that we haven’t been able to contact for a few months!  I’m going to miss these people, but more than anything I’m just grateful to have known them!  I’m so grateful I had the opportunity and chose to serve a mission!

The mission has an inspired goal that each sector can see a baptism in the month of January.  These past few weeks we have been studying baptism, talking about baptism, doing contacts talking about baptism, sharing with the members about baptism, and so much more.  I learned a lot, but something was missing.  I know the goal to see a baptism in January is inspired, but I didn’t feel the same way I felt at the start of my mission.  We invited an investigator to be baptized at the end of the month but when we invited him it didn’t feel right.  He has way more than three times in the chapel and everything, but there was definitely a lack of power in that invitation.  I didn’t feel like he was ready to be baptized.  And I realized I was focused on the goal of a baptism this month instead of his personal conversion.  Afterward, I felt bad and had a good conversation with Heavenly Father and he helped me see that it’s all about conversion.  I want to help these people make covenants with God, but more than that, He helped me see I should be focused on helping them be Converted to Christ.  When that happens, they will want to be baptized and they will follow him the rest of their lives.  I need to teach to their NEEDs and really listen to the Spirit.  I realized the reason I was extra happy at the beginning of my mission was because every time we went into a lesson I listened to the Spirit, the investigator, and taught to their needs.  We saw so many miracles and changes in people that way.  And I lost that focus for a while.  Instead of focusing on the Savior, I focused on baptism.  It was great and I learned, but now I’ve REALLY learned that if we really focus on the Savior, on the individual, the covenants come and I will know in the moment how to help them get there.  They will really be ready for baptism and covenants in the temple if I focus on the Savior and help my investigators focus on the Savior.  I’ve been really seeing how imperfect I am and it’s so incredible that the Lord calls us in our weakness!  He sees a lot more in us than we sometimes see in ourselves!

Anyway, I love you all!!!!  Have a great week!

--Hermana West