Thursday, January 4, 2018

Week 29


Hello!! 
 I love you all and hope you had an amazing New Years Eve and day!  Everything here was closed so that's why I'm writing you today.  We spent the evening with members and ate dinner and talked.  Then yesterday for New Years day we went to the Campo and had a fire and walked along the Coast (it was just like walking along the rocks in Oregon.  So perfect.).
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TYLER TODAY!!!!  And Happy Birthday to Sarah this week!!  I love you both so much!!

I have learned a lot this week. I've been able to see how incredibly weak I am and how much I need the Savior in every moment. Its really true that the more you come unto Christ the more He shows you your weaknesses.  Its really incredible that he calls 18 and 19 year olds to be his missionaries.  I am baffoled (hahaha idk how to spell that but you get the idea) by the trust that He puts in us.  I've learned a lot about His love.  Really, its the only thing that changes people, situations, and everything.  Everything is based on love.  And to know that He loves me and has put His trust in me is the biggest motivator.  It shows me just how much He values me and each one of His children.  Knowing that, knowing who we are, helps us realize that we can't act like the natural man.  I think that's why it's so important as missionaries to study our purpose.  And as members of the church in general.  If we don't constantly remind ourselves who we are and How Christ and Heavenly Father see us, we are going to act in a different way.  We forget so easily.  That's why we are counselled to go to the temple often and we take the sacrament every week.  Its the same with my missionary purpose and spending time in prayer listening to how God feels about me.  Anyway, I'm becoming more humble and I'm changing.  We really are absolutely nothing without the Savior.  Its also really hit home to me how with my kids in the future, with my family now, my companions, future companions and other missionaries that the only way people are going to change is through love.  Through real charity.

Our sector is doing well in so many ways, but in other ways it's been heartbreaking.  A few investigators have dropped us this week and that was pretty hard.  Not because I'm beating up on myself thinking "what did I do wrong?", but because I want them to be happy and they just rejected the most beautiful thing that anybody has to offer.  They couldn't see how their life could be 3 million times better.  I was doing a contact this week and in the middle of testifying and inviting them to hear more, the guy took off running.  It would've been funny if we were selling insect repellent or something but this guy just ran away from the only source of peace and joy. Part of me wanted to laugh, but it hurt to stand there and feel even the smallest part of what the Savior must have felt as He suffered for his brothers and sisters, the people He loves with every part of who He is, and they still rejected Him.  They rejected the only person that brings them healing and peace.  It hurt the Savior not because He felt offended, but because He loves them.  He wants them to be happy.  I've been feeling a super small part of that lately.  I've been putting my whole heart into serving these people.  I know I'm completely weak and there are a million ways I can improve, but I have really been trying my best and I will keep trying my best until the very end. But despite the little moments of pain, I'm still soooo completely happy.  There is so much joy in living the Gospel.  There is absolutely nothing better than getting to work with the Savior in helping bring people unto Him--whether they reject it or not.
I love you all so much!!!!  Have an amazing week!!!!

--Hermana West