Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Week 23




HOLAAAAA!!
Hello again!  What a week!!  After a little bit harder last week, this week has felt like Heaven.  I have been able to feel so close to you guys.  Heavenly Father has put so many reminders that He loves me in every day and I've been so blessed.  Thank you for all of your prayers.  I love you.

 This past week was really good and full of lots of miracles.  We are really enjoying the work.  I keep learning more and more about how to become an even better disciple of Christ and missionary everyday.  We had intercambios this week and that was really good.  I stayed in my sector with Hermana Hanosek.  She is awesome.  She has an incredible gift to connect with people and I loved watching her talk to the members in my ward.  She jumped right in at Consejo de Barrio and really just started giving good ideas.  You know someone is an incredible missionary when they treat the work the same wherever they are--in their sector or not.  I learned a lot from her(:  Hermana Egbert and I are doing really well.  We keep learning everyday how to teach more like Christ.  Something I've started doing is picking a miracle from Christ's life and trying to put it into practice in my day.  For example, He healed the blind.  So I try to help someone who is blinded by fear see clearly that God is in charge and has a plan for them.  Another time I studied Him walking on the water to the disciples.  The disciples were afraid because they didn't know who He was.  They didn't recognize that He was their source of help, so they were frightened and Christ tells them to "Be of good cheer.  Fear not. It is I".  So I tried to help people we came in contact with really recognize that we were representatives of their Savior and that we bring a message of peace that can help them to be happier and have profound peace.  I've really been growing a lot closer to Christ in the mission and it is such a privilege.  

Once again, we have seen a TON of miracles in the work this week, even though sometimes they don't show up in numbers. Two people from part member families that have always rejected the missionaries and been kind of harsh with us are showing interest and inviting us to meet with them.  That is incredible.  We have found a few new people, taught some pretty powerful lessons, and so much more.  Missions are the best.

After P-day, on Monday night we went to visit a lady (abuelita that has been investigating the church for a long time and whose baptismal date fell through) and it was a pretty sad experience.  We watched finding faith in Christ with her and afterward the Spirit was really strong.  We started talking and things were going really well but then she started to cry.  She proceeded to tell us that she had an experience the other day and that she wants to stay with her church.  At first, I was really confused, then I was sad, then I was confused AND sad, then I was peaceful.  Completely peaceful.  We sat there and just listened to her and loved her.  We told her that we still would visit her and be her friend but she asked us not to come by again until we are leaving Punta Arenas so that we could say good-bye.  That will rip your heart out every time haha.  It’s hard to see someone that you love SO much reject a message that is so beautiful and that you know will bring them the most peace and happiness in this life and after.  She is so special.  The whole time we were talking I just felt Heavenly Father reassure me that she is His daughter and that He loves her.  That we did everything that He wanted us to do and that now she is in His hands.  It was a very bittersweet experience, but I know one day she will accept the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

But on a positive note, I GOT TO TALK TO JACOB ON HIS BIRTHDAY!!!!  That was my favorite and happiest moment of the week.  He works in the MTC in Provo and they had to call the missions to verify if we could receive texts or not and he had permission to call me!!!  It was such a miracle too.  I was thinking about him all day because it was his birthday.  An appointment had just fallen through and we were a little bit down.  We decided to take our dinner and go sit on the beach.  A few minutes later, JACOB CALLED!  It was actually really funny because Hermana Egbert answered the phone and she was like, "Someone wants to talk to you...I think it might be Elder Shields (someone from the office)".  But right when she handed me the phone she said, "Wait!  It might be Jacob!!" Right when I heard his voice I started crying because I was so happy.  It felt like I had never left. I was able to sing him happy birthday really quick and it was so special.  For about 2.5 hours after that I couldn’t stop smiling.  And then every time I felt a little bit down throughout the week I remembered that experience, and it reminded me that God is aware of me and that He wants me to be happy.  Sometimes I cant believe how blessed we are.  I love being a missionary!!

Anyway, thank you for all your prayers. I can really feel them.  There is nothing better than serving Heavenly Father and playing a part in His work.  Find a way to touch someone this week.  There are so many ways to serve and I promise you will be able to feel Gods love for you as you do.  Have an incredible week!!  I love you!!


--Hermana West