Friday, July 14, 2017

Week 4


Not much has changed around here, hahah. So I don't have too much to say about that. But I do want to share an experience or two and something I've learned!!  First of all, we've been trying to speak in only Spanish for 10 out of the 12 hours in our day, and it has not been easy.  You can't communicate, you can't really express yourself, and sometimes people don't understand you.  Sometimes it’s hard being with someone constantly.  Sometimes you don't see eye to eye, and you need to be stripped of all pride so that the spirit can be with you!  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my comp. But sometimes it wears on you being like 5 feet away from someone every minute of every day!  And I'm sure it's not always easy for her to constantly be with me either!  And just to make it clear, she hasn't done anything wrong. It's just kinda hard merging two completely different lives!  Sometimes lessons don't go as planned. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do. Sometimes you can feel a little trapped, or get caught in a freezing cold downpour and realize that you will be walking in that, except with strong winds and even colder temperatures all day almost every day for a year and a half.  Sometimes you remember how much you miss your family, and all you want to do is give your parents and siblings a hug.  But then, you remember why you're here.  You remember why you put your job, school, social life, and everything else on hold.  It's because you know with every part of who you are that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored on the earth and that living the teachings of Christ has brought you more joy, peace, happiness, and blessings than anything that you could have ever hoped for!  And you know your life would be completely different without it!!  So you wanted to share that with people who don't have that happiness!  You wanted to help people that sit in darkness so to speak.  People who don't even know something is missing from their lives!  You came on a mission because you loved the Savior and you want to help people come unto Him so their lives can be changed!  And then you realize that you really love being here because there is absolutely nothing better to do in the world than this!!

 Also something that happened this week that I wanted to share with you!  We were in a computer lab using a program to study Spanish.  I don't love this thing at all, haha.  In fact, it can put me in a bad mood easily if I'm not careful!  But I was looking out the window, and President Bennett walked by!  Then a few minutes later, he started coming back from the other way.  I don't know why, but I thought in my head, “If he stops by the TALL (Technology Assisted Language Learning) lab right now, I will know God is aware of me and loves me.”  As soon as I thought that, I immediately thought, “That is so dumb.  I know better than to look for a sign.  And I know God loves me and is aware of me already.”  But the exact moment I thought that, President Bennett kinda paused, immediately changed direction and started walking toward our TALL Lab!  I was stunned at this point.  Then, sure enough, the door opens and there is President Bennett.  He asked how we were doing, closed the door, and then went back the direction he was originally heading.  Haha. So, I KNOW God is aware of you because He is aware of me!  He sent Pres. Bennett to give me a little reminder when it wasn't even that important!  So no matter what you may think or believe, I can promise you that God is aware of you individually and loves you!  And if we are worthy and trying to do what is right, we can be an instrument in showing God’s love to other people!  And at the same time, God can show His love to us through other people as well!!  I love you all!!  Please keep trying to be more like the Savior everyday!  It’s the only way to have real and lasting joy in your life!!  I love you!!!
--Hermana West